Study with Us

Apply to Start Your Studies

Practical Information.

To Help your Everyday Life Run Smoothly

We understand that moving here to start or continue your academic education is a huge leap. We aim to make your transition as smooth as possible with practical support to guide you through the process. Read personal student experiences of how to prepare for student life at the European Campus or Deggendorf on our university blog, and view all the info below!

Fees and Funding

Overview of costs

The Bavarian State Government supports students and therefore charges no tuition fees for all full-time studies, for both German and international students. For more information, please see an overview of living costs for international students.


Funding through a scholarship

Health and Liability Insurance


Health Insurance

All students registered at the DIT are subject to compulsory insurance. This also includes students registered in Germany but whose permanent residence is abroad.
The proof of valid health insurance is required before enrollment and will be electronically transmitted to the university. Please be aware that enrollment at our university cannot be completed in case of a missing digital health insurance confirmation. There are several public health insurance providers in Germany and the tariffs are almost equal. You can decide which company you prefer. For further details, please contact


EU-students are usually covered by the European Health Insurance. If this applies to you, please contact a public health insurance provider and submit a copy of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). If it fulfils all requirements, the insurance provider will send a digital health insurance confirmation to our university.

Private health insurance:

Students older than 30 years are usually not eligible for public health insurance and must get private health insurance.  Please get in contact with a private insurance provider of your choice. Please keep in mind that the insurance has to cover costs for all possible treatment (dentist, hospital, rehabilitation treatment, ...), medicine, drugs, bandages, other medical aid, pregnancy and birth. It is also required that your insurance policy does not show any limitation on the occurring costs.

After having received the contract, you still have to contact a public insurance provider and submit it for evaluation. If it fulfils all requirements, the public insurance provider will send a digital health insurance confirmation to our university.

For further assistance, please refer to


Liability Insurance

The most important and yet cheapest insurance you need in Germany is the liability insurance.

A liability insurance is taken out in case you as the insured cause damage to third parties or damage the property of third parties. Since the law states that the perpetrator is liable for damages to others, the liability insurance first checks whether the damage was clearly caused by you.

We recommend our international students to take out liability insurance during their studies in Germany. Not only for the costs of minor accidents (e.g. damage to cell phones or lost room keys), but also for serious accidents (e.g. an accident with a bicycle into someone else's car) can be covered by liability insurance.

The general terms and conditions vary depending on the insurance provider. The monthly fee starts at € 3, the amount covered is up to € 50 million.

However, you should be aware that German private liability insurances with a term of three or five years cannot be cancelled before the end of the term.

Visa and Residence Permit


Students from the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland do not require a visa to enter Germany and study here. However, upon arrival in Germany, registration at the local residents’ registration office is required (within two weeks after arrival).

Students from Non-EU/Non-EEA-Countries

Students from Non-EU or Non-EEA-Countries

Students from Non-EU or Non-EEA-Countries must apply for a student visa for Germany prior to departure (it is recommended to apply for it shortly after having received the letter of acceptance) at the responsible embassy/consulate in their home country.
Upon arrival in Germany (prior to the expiry date of your visa), you must apply for a residence permit for study purposes at the local immigration office. The International Office at DIT will be glad to assist you in the application process.

Visa-free entry

Students from certain countries may enter Germany without a visa.
An overview of all visa requirements/exemptions is available on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office
Please note: Students who may enter Germany without a visa must apply for a residence permit for study purposes at the local Immigration Office within 90 days after arrival.

Leaving DIT

Before leaving DIT you must complete the following:

  • Cancel your insurance
  • Terminate your rental agreement
  • Close your bank account
  • Inform the Citizens Registration Office
  • End your enrolment at the DIT
  • Inform the International Office


Cancellation of enrolment

  • Your enrolment will be cancelled automatically after his or her final semester, if the final examination has been successfully completed.
  • Your enrolment will be terminated if he or she does not pass one or more of the required preliminary, intermediate or final examinations specified in the Examination Regulations, unless he or she changes to another programme of study that does not offer the same degree.
  • Your enrolment will be terminated if he or she has not registered to continue studies before the start of the semester by the specified deadline, unless special permission was obtained.
  • Your enrolment will be terminated if he or she does not pay the student fees by the specified deadline.
  • Application for de-registration

The cancellation of enrolment certificate should be kept in a safe place and, if changing universities, it is required to be shown to the new university.


General information about deregistration


Reimbursement of student union fees

Students can apply for the reimbursement of Student Union fees (submitting an application, processing and carrying out the reimbursement) at the Student Centre. Please submit your application and direct questions to your assigned staff member.

Health insurance

Your entitlement to student health insurance expires upon cancellation of enrolment. After this time you are responsible for your own health insurance, which is obligatory for residents of Germany.

Student aid (BaföG)

If you receive student financial aid (BaföG), inform the responsible Office of Student Aid (Amt für Ausbildungsförderung) of your cancellation of enrolment as soon as possible.

Pension insurance

Your Certificate for Statutory Pension Insurance Purposes should be kept in a safe place. Please submit it to the appropriate Pension Insurance Institution immediately upon taking up an occupation which is subject to compulsory pension insurance.

University materials

If you haven’t already done so, please return any university materials and books from the library.

You can receive a refund for any outstanding balances from either the Student Union (Cafeteria Card credit) or the Copy-Shop (Photocopier credit). The chip card then becomes your own property.

Changing universities

If your enrolment is terminated as a result of not passing one or more required exams, you are not allowed to continue the course of study or any related programme that offers the same degree at a Bavarian University.

It is possible to apply to a different course of study offered by the university at any time before the application deadline.

If you have further questions, please consult the International Office.

Chat Icon Chat Icon