Deggendorf Institute of Technology

Apply to Start your Studies

Studying as a Parent or Carer.

Information and Support

Studying as a Parent

Juggling studying with a family is a challenge for all mothers and fathers, whether big or small children are at home. At the university, we want to support parents with the following support services:



Ressort Family Affairs
Andrea Ebertseder
Anita Reither
Tel. +49 991 3615 - 8863 or - 526


The current situation challenges many families at the moment. It is necessary to cope with the normal family everyday life, to entertain children and at the same time working for studies or maintaining home office. The care and nursing of relatives also runs under different conditions than before.

The Family Affairs Department has put together some helpful information for you below: 

Corona: Financial aid for families (status 19 January 2021)

  • Parental allowance

The special regulations on parental allowance, which were intended to compensate for income losses due to the Corona crisis, will be extended until 31 December 2021. Income replacement benefits such as short-time allowance and unemployment benefit I are not to reduce the parental allowance. This affects parents who have been working part-time and receiving parental allowance. In addition, months with lower income can be excluded from the parental allowance calculation. This concerns expecting parents who have lost income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, for example, because they receive short-time allowance. If you work in a systemic occupation, you can postpone parental allowance months that you originally wanted to take between 1 March 2020 and 31 December 2020 until after the crisis. The resulting gap in receipt is not a problem for your parental allowance. You can also still take basic parental allowance later, even though your child will then already be older than 14 months.

  • Additional sick days for children who are cared for at home

In 2021, each parent will be entitled to 20 child sick days per child instead of the current 10. If you are a single parent, you will have 40 days instead of 20. You do not have to work on the children's sick days. You can apply to your health insurance for children's sick pay to compensate your salary.

You can use children's sick days if:

  • Your child is sick,
  • Your child is healthy and you are looking after them at home because schools, day care centres or day nurseries are closed, or
  • The authorities have restricted access to school, day care centres or child day care or recommend that you do not use any of them.

Parents who could work from home are also eligible.

Requirements are that: 

  • You and your child have statutory health insurance,
  • Your child is under 12 years of age or is dependant on help due to a disability, and
  • No other person living in the household can supervise the child.

The amount of children's sick benefit is usually 90% of the net lost pay. If your chils is ill, you must submit a medical certificate to the sickness insurance fund. If you are claiming child sickness benefit due to childcare, you will need a certificate from the school or childcare facility.

Privately insured parents and self-employed people can still claim compensation under the Infection Protection Act if they have to care for their children at home. You can find out more about children's sick days and children's sick pay at the Federal Ministry of Health (in German).

Children's leisure bonus (as of 5 July 2021)
In order to support families with low incomes, they will receive a leisure bonus of €100 per child from August 2021. This can be used individually for holiday, sports and leisure activities.
More information on entitlement, application and payment at

Home office with children

Home office during Corona is different from alternating telework while the children are looked after in school or kindergarten. Children sitting on your lap during work unfortunately does not really work well in the long run. What helps are clear agreements with the other parent, task sharing, established rules and structures.

Here you can fine some articles and collected information that might help you. Every child is different, just see what suits you. 

Arts & Crafts, Puzzles, Cooking and more... (in German)

Digital sport for children

Help for parents and children

The current situation holds lots of potential fears for children, but also for mothers and fathers. Rituals can help children, whether you are singing, playing, reading or performing and evening gratitude ritual - it is important to convey as much stability and security as possible. 

You can find child-oriented information about the current situation as well as some help and support offers here:

  • The effects of the coronavirus also unsettle many children. What can help children? How do I support my child in domestic quarantine? This article by the Federal Government offers tips on this.
  • Explanatory video for younger children
    For younger children there is a good explanatory video published by the city of Vienna. 
  • Information for children
    The editors of logo (News for children on ZDF) have also compiled information that's suitable for children
  • Daily routine
    Explanation of a child and youth psychotherapist, why a daily routine is especially important for children now.
  • Advisory services
    A very clear list of different free and anonymous counselling services by phone, email or online can be found at the National Centre for Early Internvention
  • Online advice for young people and parents
    The bke offers professional advisory services via the internet for young people and parents. The bke online advice is free of charge, just like the advice provided by the upbringing and family advice centres. The advice is provided exclusively by trained specialists with many years of experience and in accordance witht the currently valid data protection guidelines. 
  • Help phone
    Parents' phone of the Child Protection Agency: +49 800 1110550
    Children and youth telephone / number against sorrow: +49 116111 or +49 800 1110333

Support for senior citizens

Older people are particularly affected by the current situation: the risk of a more severe course of disesase is higher and isolation is often even more pronounced. We have compiled some suggestions for you below. 

  • Tips from Alzheimer Research
    The Alzheimer Research team has put together tips on how you can support your relatives in this situations.
  • Tips for behaviour for risk groups
    The homepage of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth provides behavioural tips for older people and those who have previously been ill and draws attention to the need for protection of this group of people.
  • Neighbourhood assistance
    In some municipalities there are specially founded associations of neighbourhood help, which offer all kindsd of help in the household, but also transport and accompanying services. There are usually voluntary citizens who are not paid, but often receive an expense allowance. Ask your parish, the local social welfare office, your landlord or charity organisations whether there is a corresponding neighbourhood assistance service available. 


You can get an overview of the money you are entitled to for maternity leave, birth and parental leave on the pages of the Bundesministeriums für Familien, Senioren, Frauen und Jugend (Federal Ministry for Families, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth).

In addition to the general financing possibilities for studying, there are some special grants for studying parents:

  • BAföG for student parents

Special regulations for pregnant and parental students: Childcare supplement, extension of maximum duration of support, in case of interruption of studies, in case of loan repayment.

In general: as a BAföG recipient you are entitled to an exemption from the obligation to pay broadcasting fees.

You can find further information on the BAföG pages of the Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung (Federal Ministry of Education and Research).

  • Loans for female students with children

The Hildegardis Association for the Promotion of Women's Studies in Germany grants allowances or interest-free loans to single parents female students of Christian denomination. Further information can be found on the pages of Hildegardis Verein.

  • State foundation “Hilfe für Mutter und Kind”

This foundation under public law supports expectant mothers in need, families with many children and single parents in special emergency situations with financial aid if the statutory benefits are not sufficient.

The foundation benefits are voluntary benefits. There is no legal claim to them. You can find further information on the pages of the Zentrum Bayern Familie und Soziales.

  • Housing Allowance

The housing allowance is a subsidy towards rent for people with low income. However, students who already receive BAföG are usually not supported with housing benefit, since BAföG already includes a flat-rate housing allowance. However, there are exceptions if a child lives in the household of the BAföG recipient. You can find further information on the pages of the Studentenwerk Niederbayern-Oberpfalz.

Our slides on "Studying with a child" contain information on maternity protection, organising your studies before the birth, parental leave, illness of the child, etc.

Every year at the beginning of the winter semester, we offer an information event on the topic of studying with a child. Speakers from the Study Centre, the Student Union, the Donum Vitae counselling centre and the Bavarian South Employment Agency provide tips and information on how to manage studying with a child or children.


You can find a complete overview of the childcare facilities located in Deggendorf on the Homepage of the City of Deggendorf.

In order to get a place in the kindergarten of your choice, it is important to register your child early!

Inform yourself as soon as possible about the registration modalities to avoid waiting times.

  • Day nursery "Little Ducks Campus Kids"

More Information

  • Babysitter Exchange

In order to be able to expand the range of childcare options in addition to the "Little Ducks Campus Kids" day care centre, we have also set up a babysitter exchange.

Please contact us if you need a babysitter.

The university serves only as an intermediary and therefore assumes no liability.

If you would like to be included in the babysitter pool, please fill out the form for inclusion in the babysitter exchange.

Helpful information:


Babysitter Contract

Babysitter Checkliste

Information Minijob


  • Holiday care for DIT members

The Family Affairs Department organises regular childcare on the school-free Buß- und Bettag in November and on two to three days during the Easter holidays.

Children of students and employees are allowed to get a taste of university life on these days and are able to also explore their parents' workplace or place of study. Together with various faculties and the association "Technik für Kinder TfK" (Technology for Children TfK) a varied programme is offered.

Information and the registration form will be sent via e-mail about one month before the events.

  • Holiday and Leisure Activities

During four weeks in August, the Feriengarten Sommersprossen offers holiday care for children between 3 and 11 years.

The holiday programme of the city of Deggendorf as well as many activities and excursions for children and teenagers can be found on the pages of the youth centre 4You in Deggendorf.

You can get further information at:


  • Free kids plate at the canteen (Mensa)

The Studentenwerk would like to support student parents and offers a free children's meal for children aged 0 to 6 years if a student parent with a valid student ID pays for a main course for themselves.

A children's plate basically consists of a main course from the regular daily menu and a side dish, which can also be a soup or dessert.

  • Baby changing room

A baby changing room is located on the Ground Floor in the E-building (Room E003), which is accessible at any time without a key and marked with a small pictogram as a baby changing room.

You can also find a comfortable chair for breastfeeding and a nappy changing unit equipped for emergencies (nappies, wet wipes and nursing pads).

  • Social Counselling

The social counselling service of the Studentenwerk Niederbayern/ Oberpfalz can help you with questions about securing your living, pregnancy and childcare, general life planning during your studies or studying with a disability.

  • Psychosocial Counselling

If you are experiencing conflicts during your studies, performance or concentration problems, fears of various kinds (exam or future anxieties) or psychological problems, you can turn to the psychosocial counselling offered in cooperation with the Angermühle Clinic, Am Stadtpark 1 in Deggendorf

Appointments via phone: 0991/ 37055-0

Not easy - but possible! 

Usually required during the course of study, the semester or internship abroad is in great demand by employers and can bring a decisive advantage in the application process. In spite of the immense preparation, it is a memorable time that most student parents would not want to miss.

Useful information and experience reports can be found under:

Our International Office is here to help you.

Financing possibilities:

  • Planning your stay abroad via a funding programme (e.g. ERASMUS) makes coordination easier and may also enable a grant from EU funds.
    Students with children can also apply for special funds for their ERASMUS stay abroad.
    Scholarship and support programmes are available at:
  • BAföG recipients can usually receive BAföG when studying abroad:
  • The parental allowance will continue to be paid if a residence in Germany is maintained and the stay is no longer than one year.
  • Child benefit can continue to be received if the stay abroad is only temporary, serves the purpose of education and training and the residence in Germany is maintained.
  • The insurance cover of the health insurance remains unchanged under the same conditions. In addition, it is essential to take out an international health insurance policy in order to ensure medical care abroad.
  • There is usually no entitlement to benefits from the social system of the chosen country.

Plan enough time for the preparations, but also for getting used to the place.

Check the university's own or public/private childcare facilities on site and also clarify the living situation in the chosen foreign country as early as possible.


Before giving birth:

  • At the point you learn about your pregnancy: immediate notification to the DIT centre for studies.
  • Maternity pay (from your health insurance) or maternity pay from your employer/health insurance company approx. 7 weeks before giving birth.
  • Additional requirements for pregnant women and initial equipment for the baby - ALG II application from the 13th week of pregnancy onwards via the job centre.
  • Landesstiftung „Hilfe für Mutter und Kind“ (Landesstiftung "Help for Mother and Child"): Applications must be submitted before birth, otherwise funding will not be possible.
  • Register parental leave for mother/father in writing with the employer at least seven weeks before the start
  • Kindergarten spot: In order to get a place in the kindergarten or nursery of your choice, it is important to register your child early.

Inform yourself as soon as possible about the respective registration modalities to avoid waiting times.

After giving birth:

  • Parental allowance at the Elterngeldstelle of the Zentrum Bayern für Familie und Soziales
  • Child benefit from the family fund of the job centre. If the minimum income limit is not reached, there is also a child supplement.
  • Advance maintenance payments for single parents with no maintanance are paid by the responsible youth welfare office for a maximum of 72 months.


Domestic help is provided by the statutory health insurance companies if there is a child under the age of 12 living in your household and you are unable to provide care due to difficulties during pregnancy or caesarean section births.

You can get further information at your health insurance.

Advice centres during pregnancy on problems, birth and breastfeeding and general questions can be found in Deggendorf at the District OfficeDonum-Vitae and Caritas.

Advice for parents in difficult living situations, e.g. uncertainties in upbringing, partnership conflicts, minority of one parent, can be obtained from "KoKi - Netzwerk frühe Kindheit" at the District Office (Landratsamt) Deggendorf.

The Studentenwerk Niederbayern/Oberpfalz also has its own pages on "Studying as a parent".


Every 6 months you'll receive information about measures and news in our Family Affairs department via e-mail newsletter "familie-in-der-hochschule".

Newsletter 02/2019

Newsletter 01/2019



The corporate program "Success Factor Family" is a central platform for the topic of compatibility of family and career. With this corporate programme, the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, together with the leading associations of German economy (BDA, DIHK, ZDH) and the DGB, is working to make family friendliness a trademark of the German economy. In the nationwide business competition "Success Factor Family", the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs awards prizes to the most family-friendly employers in Germany once per legislature. DIT successfully participated in this competition in 2016.

Familienpakt Bayern

The aim of the Bavarian Family Pact is to continuously improve the compatibility of family and career in Bavaria. The partners in the pact are committed to focusing more on work results and less on the hours worked, wherever the specific conditions at work permit this. Flexible working time and workplace models, such as those already in place at our university, as well as the ongoing digitalisation, increasingly allow a family-friendly work culture to be developed.

With the Bavarian Family Pakt, we are jointly shaping the future topic of family and career. The partners in the Bavarian Family Pact have a common goal: quality of life for families and the future for Bavaria as a business location. We think these tasks together and work together for better solutions.

Charta „Familie in der Hochschule“

Furthermore, our university has signed the charter "Family in the university" in the Best Practice Club and thus wants to set a supra-regional signal in the direction of a family-friendly student and personnel policy.

This organisation was created in 2008 to form a unique nationwide network of universities, which is characterised by nationwide dialogue and partnership at eye level. The member universities have many years of experience in initiating and implementing measures for family orientation at universities. Together, concepts and practical measures are developed to support students and employees in better reconciling family and studies or career. The developed handouts, tools and guidelines are proven in practice and illustrate the excellent quality of the implemented measures. They are freely accessible to all interested parties on the club's homepage.

Charta der Vielfalt

In addition to the compatibility of work and family life, our university is also committed to the creation of an unprejudiced working environment is of utmost importance.

The Charter of Diversity is an employer initiative to promote diversity in companies and institutions. By signing the Charter, the university wishes to emphasise the importance of this issue.

The aim of the initiative is to promote the recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the working world in Germany. All employees should experience appreciation - regardless of gender, gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity.


Studying as a Carer

The need for care can affect anyone: the partner, the parents or your own child. In contrast to parenthood, care is usually not predictable, but occurs unexpectedly, for example after a stroke or accident. It is also usually difficult to assess the course of a need for care. It can last a few weeks or months, but can also extend over many years. Accordingly, it varies greatly from case to case how much strain is placed on the carer. Increasingly, students are also faced with the challenge of managing their studies and the care or support of relatives in parallel.

For this reason, Family Affairs offers a counselling service with basic information and personal advice on the compatibility of study and care.

Download the brochure "Studying with relatives in need of care" in practical PDF format.
Need for care - What to do?

Many questions arise when you are suddenly confronted with the topic of care. Below you will find a compilation of information that can serve as a first orientation:

Contact the care/health insurance company of the relative to be cared for or an independent care centre in your area and get advice so you can get to know all the possibilities and services and can make the right decision for you.

Care at Home


  • Ambulant nursing services

The nursing assignments of the ambulant nursing services include services of basic care and domestic care. Outpatient care enables those affected to remain in their familiar surroundings despite the need for care. An overview of approved nursing care services is provided by the service and price comparison lists that the nursing care insurance funds make available free of charge.

  • Care contract

Every care service is obliged to conclude a care contract with its customers, which has to be adjusted in case of any essential change. Sample contracts can be found, for example, at the consumer advice centres.

  • Care allowance

People in need of care can apply for care allowance and decide for themselves how and by whom they are cared for. In order to ensure optimal care tailored to individual needs, it is also possible to combine the receipt of care allowance with the use of benefits in kind (care services, such as those provided by an ambulant care service). The nursing allowance is reduced in this case.

  • Respite care

If the previous carer is temporarily unable to provide care due to illness, vacation leave or for comparable reasons, the long-term care insurance grants benefits for substitute care for a maximum of six weeks per calendar year for care levels 2 - 5.

  • New forms of living – senior citizens’ shared flat

Those offer the possibility to live with peers in the same living conditions without having to give up privacy and independence.

  • Pooling

Different people in need of care can combine their entitlement to care services with those of other people in need of care. Pooling saves money. This money has to be invested in further care services when pooling.

Care in a Nursing Home

  • Full inpatient care

Full inpatient care is granted if home or semi-stationary care is not possible. The nursing insurance fund checked the necessity of this care by the Medical Service of the Health Insurance Fund (Medizinischer Dienst der Krankenversicherung MDK).

  • Partially inpatient care

For example, the patients are picked up in the morning and brought back home in the afternoon. This option is mostly used by working carers. In this case, the nursing care insurance fund covers the costs of nursing care, the costs of social care and the costs of medical treatment. The costs of meals, on the other hand, must be paid privately.

  • Short-term care

It enables family members providing care to be relieved of their workload for a limited period of time or prepares a person in need of care to return to their own household after their stay in hospital. The amount of the nursing care insurance benefit for short-term nursing care does not differ within the nursing care levels 2 - 5, but is available to all people in need of nursing care at the same level, regardless of the classification. People in need of care with care level 1 can use the credit amount.

  • Childcare

In the case of physically or mentally impaired children, independence is taken into account when determining the degree of care in comparison to children who have developed according to age.


For People in Need for Care

In order to be able to claim nursing care insurance benefits, an application must be submitted to the nursing insurance fund of the relative to be cared for. The nursing insurance fund is located at the health insurance company. As soon as you have submitted an application to the nursing insurance fund, the insurance company will instruct the MDK to carry out a nursing assessment. From 2017 onwards, the degree of independence of a person will become the central criterion for the need for care and no longer their need for help in minutes for individual tasks. The assessors look at how people cope with quite normal things in life and examine six areas: Movement, thinking and speaking, behaviour, self-care (eating and drinking, dressing and undressing, washing and personal hygiene), dealing with the illness and medication and whether one can plan the day for oneself and get in contact with other people.

People in need of care with care level 2 and higher who live in Bavaria can also apply for the state care allowance.

For Carers

Social security for the carer

Anyone who provides non-working care for a close relative or a close relative with at least care level 2 in a home environment for at least 10 hours on at least two days a week is a caregiver in the sense of care insurance (§ 19 SGB XI). The nursing insurance pays pension insurance contributions for nursing people if they are not employed for more than 30 hours a week in addition to nursing care. Nursing insurance pays contributions to statutory pension insurance depending on the type of benefits (nursing allowance, benefits in kind, combined benefits) and the degree of care.

For the duration of your holiday from nursing care - up to a maximum of six weeks per calendar year - the pension insurance contributions will continue to be paid for you.

To pay pension contributions for your care activities, you can also contact the care insurance fund of the person in need of care yourself. They will send you the "Questionnaire for the payment of social security contributions for carers who are not professionally employed".

For carers who care for a person in need of care from care level 2 for at least 10 hours a week, regularly at least 2 days a week, and who have therefore had to give up their employment, the care insurance fund pays contributions to unemployment insurance.

The carer is protected by the statutory accident insurance scheme during the time he or she is caring for the patient.


Holiday Semester

Anyone who wants to or has to interrupt their studies due to the care of a close relative can submit an application for leave of absence to the centre for studies. Close relatives in the sense of this law are grandparents, parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, life partners, partners in a marital or life-like community, siblings, siblings-in-law, children, adopted or foster children, adopted or foster children of the spouse or partner, children-in-law and grandchildren.

Students on leave of absence due to the care of close relatives are entitled according to § 48 Abs. 4 BayHSchG to perform study or examination services at the university. A leave of absence due to care can exceed two semesters and is not offset against periods of leave of absence for other reasons.


Regardless of the degree of care, the nursing care insurance fund pays up to 4000 euros on application as a subsidy for adjustment measures that enable or facilitate home care in the home or restore the independence of the person in need of care. The aim of such measures is in particular to prevent the carer from being overburdened. When calculating the subsidy, a personal contribution is levied, which is based on the income of the person in need of care.

A subsidy for home adaptation can also be granted a second time if the care situation has changed in such a way that new measures are necessary.


The Federal Ministry of Health has a selection of brochures that provide information on the Care Reorientation Act, Family Care Time Act, care law, etc.

Health Care Proxy and Advance Decision (§ 1901a Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch)


If your have any further questions, please contact the Ressort Family Affairs of DIT

Tel. 09 91/36 15-526
Fax. 09 91/36 15-292

Chat Icon Chat Icon